Wardrobes are very important part of people’s lives. They help in keeping one’s clothes in order. A wardrobe helps one organize their clothes well which helps in extending their life. From time to time, the wardrobe might develop a musty smell which makes the clothes have a bad odor. Sadly, at times, it becomes quite hard to get rid of the odor from one’s clothes even with all the steps that one may take to get rid of it. The most important thing in getting rid of it is by understanding what causes it and therefore learn of ways to prevent it.
There are different reasons that may lead to your wardrobe having the musty smell. Some of the most commonly known reasons include:
· Dampness: There are times when the wardrobe may have some moisture in it. When this happens, the moisture might cause the wood from which the wardrobe is made to start rooting. This may lead to the musty smell. Again, there are those people that make the wardrobes with timber that is not well dried; this may also lead to the musty smell.
· Stuffiness: There are people who are not very keen on the way they arrange their clothes in the wardrobe. Failure to do so may cause the wardrobe to become musty. There are those who even end up mixing clean and dirty clothes; this could be a major cause of the musty smell.
· Lack of ventilation: Some of the wardrobes are built in a way that there is no air that can get in or out. When this happens, this means that there won’t be proper ventilation in the wardrobe. If air is retained in the wardrobe for a long time, it may end up becoming musty hence the smell. Even good fabric smell may end up becoming musty.
· Moisture: There are people that never allow their clothes too stay long enough, outside in the sun so that they are completely dry. Storing fabrics with moisture in the wardrobe cause mildew which may lead to the musty smell.
The above are some of the major causes of the mustiness in the wardrobe. Ensuring that one prevents the above causes is a sure way of removing the musty smell in the wardrobe. When the weather is cold, there is a higher chance of having the musty smell. It is therefore important to ensure that the conditions in the wardrobe remain dry during such time. When faced with the issue of a musty smell in the wardrobe, the following steps might come in handy in getting rid of the smell:
· Avoid using too much detergent or fabric softener:
When washing, people like using perfumed detergents and fabric softeners. This will actually leave your clothes smelling nice and fresh which is a good thing. However if the smell is too strong and you are putting the clothes away in a wardrobe for a long time, it may end up turning musty. It is therefore wise to ensure that the detergents and the fabric softeners that are used are not very strong in terms of smell.
· Rinse the clothes with adequate water:
Before hanging the clothes to dry, it is always advised that they are rinsed with enough water so as to get rid of all the smell and dirt that may have remained after washing. This helps get rid of any smell or any other thing that might cause the musty smell which may have remained after rinsing your clothes.
· Ensure that clothes are dry
After you have washed and placed the clothes in the sun to dry, it is always advised that you ensure that they are completely dry before placing them in the wardrobe. If this does not happen, the retained moisture will lead to the clothes having the musty smell. Any moisture that remains is an ingredient for mustiness, especially when the clothes are being put away for a long time.
· Allow air circulation in the wardrobe
In the case that the wardrobe is not well ventilated to allow for air circulation, it is important that from time to time, you open the door and let some air get in. This makes it ventilated and helps get rid of any musty air that was forming. It is also necessary to take out clothes and leave it empty for some time. Doing so might also expose some even the pests that might have made a home there.
· Avoid all instances of moisture
A wardrobe should be maintained moisture-free at all times. By so doing, you are able to avoid the musty smell. Avoid constructing your wardrobe with wet timber; wet timber smells which will turn musty after some time. When washing the room, some moisture may get on the shelves of the wardrobe. Ensure that such moisture is gotten rid off. The conditions in the wardrobe should be kept dry at all times.
· Hang a bag of volcanic rocks in damp areas
Mold and mildew, the main causes of musty smell prefer damp areas. Removing the dampness will go a long way in removing the musty air. For those places near the wardrobe that are usually damp, you may consider hanging volcanic rocks. The importance of volcanic rocks is that they are able to absorb moisture and deodorize the surrounding area. These rocks are readily available in hardware shops. When using them, it is important to read the directions on the paper to know how many rocks that you need to pace in the bag. By absorbing the moisture, the area will remain dry.
The above are some of the best free and effective exercises that one may use to ensure that their wardrobe remains musty-free and their clothes are always in the best condition. Applying them will give your wardrobe a new lease of life which will ensure that your clothes remain dry and musty-free and dry for longer. There are more tips that one may get online. One may also combine several of the above tips, provided that they will keep the wardrobe dry.