Get To Know How To Clean Mattress Effectively – Clean Mattress can be a difficult and exhausting task to undertake. But with the right approach, it can be made less troublesome. The material we use for bedding is highly absorbent and hence easily gets stained.
It’s not just bugs but also our body oils that make a mattress dirty. Read on
Get To Know How To Clean Mattress Effectively.
1. Vacuum Clean
This is the simplest, quickest and best way to clean a mattress. It can remove dirt and stains from the mattress. Vacuum cleaner removes all the dust particles, hair and all kinds of stains that are difficult to remove with other methods.
It works as an excellent deodorizer too as it removes bad odour from the mattress. Vacuum can be used to clean air mattresses quickly without any mess or inconvenience. Its advantages are;
- Easy to use
- Clean multiple items at once
- Save money and time used in doing laundry etc. as it is a single-step method to clean the mattress.
2. Wet Wash Method With Mild Soap And Hot Water
This method is ideal for removing large stains from the mattress or whole bedding set. It’s also good for everyday cleaning habits to maintain the cleanliness of your mattress. Soaking of the mattress can be done with mild soaps in hot water for around 30 minutes.
Then rinse with hot water and let dry naturally without any sun exposure as it can make mattresses fade away prematurely and become more prone to rips and tears during the washing process.
3. Baking Soda Cleaning Method
Though baking soda is a natural cleaning agent, doctors recommend against using it to remove odour or stains from mattresses as it may cause skin irritation. A paste of baking soda can be applied over the mattress and allowed overnight to dry and rinse in the morning.
Baking soda is best for mattresses that are not made of latex as some earlier versions of memory foam and latex material have been found to have dangerous chemicals that cause respiratory and other problems due to their toxic nature.
If you are using a mattress with no toxins, then use this method for the effective removal of stains and odour from the mattress.
4. Steam Cleaning
This method is ideal for cleaning mattresses with urine or vomit. The mattress can be left for about an hour in a closed room and the steam will get rid of stains and odour effectively. Steam cleaners are best for removing harmful chemicals from the mattress that can cause health problems to the user.
However, do not use the steam cleaning method with memory foam mattresses since it may ruin their quality. This method is costly and thus not affordable for many people.
5. Add Vinegar To A Spray Bottle
Vinegar is a good cleaner and can be used in cleaning many kinds of stains. To clean a mattress using vinegar, make a solution containing one tablespoon of vinegar in half a cup of water. Use it as you would use any other cleaning solution on your mattress.
It can also be used to deodorize the mattress. Mix half a cup of vinegar in a spray bottle and keep it handy at night to spray on the mattress during dusting without disturbing your partner.
6. Alcohol Wash Method
This method is best for removing stains from fabric and upholstery. It can be used for mattresses too. Make a solution of two parts water to one part rubbing alcohol and use it to clean the mattress.
You can also add a few drops of any essential oil to your cleaning solution so that the bedroom smells nice and fresh. Allow the mattress to dry naturally before use.
7. Steam Cleaning With Essential Oils
Essential oils add a sweet fragrance and are good for human health too as they have anti-bacterial properties. They are gentle on fabrics and do not stain like perfume or other synthetic fragrances that may stain fabrics over prolonged use.
Benefits of cleaning mattress effectively
1. It will help you ease your mind of the task which will now be something that is done regularly
2. You will feel a fresh and clean mattress with no odour or stains, which is comfortable to sleep on. It will also save you time, energy and money.
3. You won’t have to use any harsh chemicals which may make your health worse in the long run. It is available even in plastic containers that may be carried anywhere and used at your convenience with no hassle or mess
4. It does not require much effort as it can be done very conveniently by anyone who has little experience of laundry work, whether it’s a kid or an adult.
5. You will be relieved of the odour and stench that are irritating to your friends and family members.
6. It is not only effective but also safe if you use it the right way. It can be used to clean other things too like rugs and upholstery as well.
7. You will feel good knowing that you have done something good for your home environment and that you have kept it clean, fresh, free from harmful germs among others, which could contribute to your overall well-being.
Why is it so important to clean the mattress regularly?
Mattresses are often not cleaned regularly, which may make them a reason for health problems. If you clean the mattress regularly, you will be able to prevent dust mite allergies and other unhygienic conditions.
As per dermatologists, if the mattress is not cleaned regularly, we tend to develop eczema problems. This is because of the accumulation of dead skin cells and other harmful bacteria on the bedding that can cause allergies.
Get To Know How To Clean Mattress Effectively – Conclusion
A mattress should be cleaned at least once a month to keep it fresh and free from any kind of odour or stains. The best time to clean a mattress is after use. The mattress should be dried with a fresh cloth and then placed in an open area where the air can circulate.
This will make sure that any germs on the mattress are killed and they do not attach to the mattress anymore. If you are using a vacuum cleaner, dry your mattress after cleaning it with a soft cloth and let it sit like that for at least 2-3 days before placing it back in your bed.